"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." ~ Logan Pearsall Smith, Trivia, 1917

Saturday 4 February 2012

Heist Society by Ally Carter

The Heist Society by Ally Carter
When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre…to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria…to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving “the life” for a normal life proves harder than she’d expected.

Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring Kat back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has a good reason: a powerful mobster has been robbed of his priceless art collection and wants to retrieve it. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat’s dad needs her help.

For Kat, there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it's a spectacularly impossible job? She's got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in her family's history--and, with any luck, steal her life back along the way.

At first when I read this all I was really just hoping for it to be as good as Ally Carter's Gallagher Girl series. It definitely was. I really enjoyed this book, a nice little story about a group of thieves.

It was written third person which I quite like. You still do get basically all of Kat's thoughts though. I think third person is better for mystery novels. Which is kinda what this book is.

Kid needs to do something to save parent - we've all seen this cliché a million times.  Ally Carter does pull off the cliché well though spoiler what kid ends up sending her dad to jail to make sure no harm comes to him spoiler over.  Some points of the plot were like 'duh that was so obvious that was going to happen' while others were pretty surprising.

Kat failed me for my quest for a perfect main character. She probably would have been pretty close if Hale wasn't in the story. She's so depressing and oblivious about him.

Hale is a pretty good character. Just with a bad jealous streak. Nothing to outstanding about him.

I think every character in the book loves Gabrielle. She's the poster child for bimbo blonde - except for the part where she's smart. She's a pretty good thief all in all.

Whatever-the-antagonist's-name-is, (I forgot... I really should have written the review straight after reading the reviews) he was awesome. Probably one of my favourite characters. Though he is 'bad' and all, he doesn't actually seem bad, he's just your normal decent thief who doesn't like to be robbed. A little hypocritical but that's just the way the wind blows.

Heist Society is a slightly clichéd book, but nowadays most books are. I still enjoyed though, it was a good light hearted read that I would recommend.

I would give it four out of five stars.


13 comments:

  1. I think you made some really good points and i felt the same way about the book, worth a read and if looked at closely there is some really nice underlying themes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her characters have been well thought out but i think she couldve made Kat stand out more from the rest as well! Clichéd but great book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she stood out fine, but hey, that might just be me...
      Have you read her other series as well?
      I bet you're just so excited for the sequel ;)

      Delete
    2. I havent really read any other of her books yet, are they any good?:) nahh, im not too keen on the new sequel actually....:(

      Delete
    3. Yeah, they're about spies :)
      Aww that's a shame!
      Oh well...

      Delete
    4. Great, maybe i could give them a try! :)

      Delete
  3. I actually disagree with some of your points, i think it makes it less clichéd because of how Ally made Kat seem towards Hale. Its an interesting book and i wouldnt mind reading other series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own opinion! ^.^
      I just find it a rather overplayed cliché :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, course! Her Gallagher Girl series rather pleased me! :)

      Delete
  4. Ahem. Not trying to be rude or anything but i noticed how u deleted my post....any specific reason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelly, sorry but I haven't deleted any posts.
      I have been told at a few people at my school that their comments didn't post - maybe that happened to you...
      Again I'm sorry :(

      Delete
    2. Hey Kelly, sorry but I haven't deleted any posts.
      I have been told at a few people at my school that their comments didn't post - maybe that happened to you...
      Again I'm sorry :(

      Delete