"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." ~ Logan Pearsall Smith, Trivia, 1917

Monday 27 February 2012

Cobble Cavern

Cobble Cavern by Jon Erik Olsen





What starts out to be a fun field trip to Ireland for Flin and his school's debate team from New York, turns into a life changing adventure when the bus they are on ends up in an earthquake. Flin and his teammates get swallowed deep into the Earth and become trapped under the ocean inside a clear dome. Fighting to make their way back to the surface, they encounter a whole new world with evil creatures such as Snazzards, Snapdragons, and an eight foot tall pigman named Blade, who thinks that he rules the underworld with his Grimgoblins. After Flin gets pricked by one of his great grandfather's experimental pits, he discovers new powers within himself-both good and bad-and must learn how to master his new powers through true emotion. As Flin goes through the challenges that lie before him, he comes to realize that he was destined to travel in his great-grandfather's footsteps and rediscover what he had found under the ocean hundreds of years earlier.





I almost always finish a book once I start it, and even if I don't like it all too much, I still finish off reading the series in belongs too.




This book was one of the very few exceptions.





Reading the blurb of this book, I'd expected the characters to be around sixteen. The main character, Finn was thirteen.





I was under the impression this book was a YA book, being listed under that category and all, but no, it was appropriate for eight year olds. My reading preferences have changed a lot since then.




I am truly sorry to the publisher for not
finishing this book, but I just couldn't. The writer frequently used caps lock, which in my opinion makes a book look unprofessional, and Finn has to be one of the most annoying characters in history. Scratch that, none of the characters were all that great. The beginning was far fetched even for a fantasy novel.




Again my apologies to Cedar Fort and Jon Erik Olsen, but I will not be finishing this book, nor do I have any intention whatsoever on doing.





I'd recommend this book, but for an eight or nine year. It sounds really good, but for me the most important part of a book is how it is written and this book is written too young for me.





It sounds quite good, so based on that I'll give this book a two out of five.


No comments:

Post a Comment