"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." ~ Logan Pearsall Smith, Trivia, 1917

Monday 27 February 2012

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

In 1860 Benjamin Button is born an old man and mysteriously begins aging backward. At the beginning of his life he is withered and worn, but as he continues to grow younger he embraces life -- he goes to war, runs a business, falls in love, has children, goes to college and prep school, and, as his mind begins to devolve, he attends kindergarten and eventually returns to the care of his nurse. 

This is a whole new definition for a quick read. Probably because it is a short story - something I did not realise before reading it.

To be honest I didn't really like this story - which is why this review is going to be pretty short.

I didn't really like any of the characters - they were generally cold hearted, I didn't like the writing style of the book, it was very fast paced and didn't go into anything in I great detail. I know this is a silly thing to dislike seeing as it was a short story, but I didn't know that when I picked up the book. Or downloaded it onto my iPod - same thing.

I did however like the idea of the book. And yeah, that was it. The plot could have been better, but just the idea of Benjamin being born an old man and dying a baby is cool in my books.

A desperately short review, but I just don't have much to say. It wasn't the book for me, but I'd recommend it if you want an incredibly short read - it took me all of twenty minutes to read.

Sorry Francis Scott Fitzgerald, I'm not saying you're a bad writer, I'm just saying I don't like your writing. It annoys me.

Overall I'd give this book a one and a half stars out of five. Call me harsh but that is all I think it deserves.


No comments:

Post a Comment