"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." ~ Logan Pearsall Smith, Trivia, 1917

Saturday 7 April 2012

Pretty Amy by Lisa Burstein





PRETTY AMY

Sometimes date is a four letter word.

Amy is fine living in the shadows of beautiful Lila and uber-cool Cassie, because at least she’s somewhat beautiful and uber-cool by association. But when their dates stand them up for prom, and the girls take matters into their own hands—earning them a night in jail outfitted in satin, stilettos, and Spanx—Amy discovers even a prom spent in handcuffs might be better than the humiliating “rehabilitation techniques” now filling up her summer. Worse, with Lila and Cassie parentally banned, Amy feels like she has nothing—like she is nothing. 

Navigating unlikely alliances with her new coworker, two very different boys, and possibly even her parents, Amy struggles to decide if it’s worth being a best friend when it makes you a public enemy. Bringing readers along on an often hilarious and heartwarming journey, Amy finds that maybe getting a life only happens once you think your life is over. 


What did you say about me being desperate to get this book? It's not like that was true or anything. Okay, okay, I'll admit it: I did really want this book.

I feel sorry for Amy because she is so totally lost. She didn't know what she should do or who she wants to be, all she knows is that without Cassie and Lila she feels completely alone.

 I always tend to feel strongly towards book characters acting outright disrespectful to their parents, but then again, my parents do seem to be a lot better than most book characters. Also, in books I've started to notice a trend that the mum is strict and never listens to what the daughter is trying to say, but the dad does. Generally the dad and daughter did something when she was younger, before she was too 'cool' to do it. This trend was followed in this book which is why I prefered her mum to her dad. Her mum was pretty mean. Her mum does have an excuse to act that way I suppose, Amy did get arrested for posession and intent to sell drugs and didn't exactly have the best of friends.

I'm not sure if he exactly counts as a proper character seeing as he was a bird and all, but AJ was the coolest character in the book. I loved how Amy had taught him to say "Pretty Amy." If I had a parrot I'd had taught it to do the exact same - just to say "Pretty Rowan," instead of "Pretty Amy."

My favourite human character was Joe, though I don't quite get why he told Amy she should have stayed at the prom when he wouldn't let her in. At the end he was so awkward that it was cute.

The end is what I have a problem with. Just the last chapter, not the whole end section of the book. It just seemed a tiny bit rushed as cram-as-much-information-in-a-paragraph-as-possible rushed. I think it might have been better if there was an extra chapter or something. I don't know, don't listen to me, I don't know anything about writing books. Maybe if there was that extra chapter we'd have got the answer to the question we all know to do: does Amy stop smoking? Why she wants to smell so bad I'll never know...

Out of Amy's 'friends' (Lila and Cassie) I'd have to say Cassie was my most preferred. Sure she had anger management issues but all characters have to have their faults. There is nothing more annoying than a 'perfect' character.

Excuse me one minute while I go stab Aaron. Then Brian.
Fine, I won't stab them, I'll just deliver death glares.

I kept on imagining Connor as a sort of werewolve seeing as he was so hairy. That means this is as close as I'll get to reading a werewolf novel *round of applause for Lisa Burstein*. Although I didn't really lke him at first, I did grow on him. It was really nice of him and his wife (Tiffany) to help Amy out. I did find it amusing when he got - aka forced - her to go to his church prayer group even though she's Jewish.

While I did feel sorry for Amy, she did bring a lot of it on herself. She drunk, smoked (cigarettes and marajuana) and didn't exactly hang out with the best of people. She shouldn't of chosen them over him in her sophomore year. I didn't particuarily like Amy, but that didn't change my rating of the book like most protagonists I don't like.

I'd give this book four out of five stars! :)

Note to self: Even when the author makes book characters seem real, do not start talking about them like they are real people.

No comments:

Post a Comment