"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." ~ Logan Pearsall Smith, Trivia, 1917

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Dear Dylan... by Siobhan Curham

A first crush.
            An unexpected friendship.
                                               A dream come true...
Dear Dylan,
Thanks SO much for your email and I'm sorry about my last one when I said I love you. I hope you don't think I'm a weirdo mentalist?!!! It's just that I was watching Oprah yesterday and she said we should all say we love each other a whole lit more. Not to everyone of course. There's no way I'd tell my scummy step-dad that I love him because that would be lying. But the thing is, sometimes when I watch you on TV, I feel as if you're talking just to me and it makes me feel less alone.

I know you probably get loads and loads of fan mail but I wanted to ask you - could we be e-mates?

Yours hopefully,
Georgie
xxx

I've never actually read a book which was totally comprised up of e-mails so that was pretty cool. I've never seen another book written in this format but if I did find another one, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it.

The main thing that annoyed me in this novel was the text language. I know that it was written in the form of e-mails but still, the author didn't need to use text language. Okay, maybe other people don't mind text language and I'm just being picky... I don't like text language... Even when I'm texting people...

I felt quite sorry for Georgie. Though completely hyper and maybe a little insane, she had a mum who drunk and wasn't there when she needed her and a step-dad who have anger management issues that made him pretty dangerous. I hate it when characters

Nan was really nice. Though what she did was lying and it was a little weird. Or am I the only one who feels that an old women e-mailing a fourteen year old (obsessive) fan of her son is a little creepy?

The book was humourous which is probably why the author could get away with adding the not so humourous things in without making the reader depressed. Georgie does manage to keep a happy persona throughout the whole book which is a good thing and surprising because of all she goes through.

I enjoyed this book even though it was nothing like what I expected it to be. Not even slightly resembling my first impressions.

I'd have to give this book four out of five stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment