"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." ~ Logan Pearsall Smith, Trivia, 1917

Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Boyfriend Thief by Shana Norris

  

 Avery James has her life planned out: this summer she'll work with a humanitarian program in Costa Rica, next year she'll graduate at the top of her class, and after that, college and medical school. Perfect, planned, total order.

The only problem: getting the rest of the money she needs for the trip before the deadline. Hannah Cohen, her biggest competition for the valedictorian title, makes an unexpected offer: If Avery can win over Zac Greeley and make him break up with Hannah before the end of the school year, a check for five hundred dollars is all hers. Faced with the prospect of spending yet another summer working as a giant hot dog, it's an offer Avery can't refuse.


Zac is nothing like Avery expected. Within his chaotic world of midnight slushie runs and spontaneous dance parties, her total order is quickly falling apart while Hannah seems poised to get everything she wants. But just how much is Avery willing to give up for the perfect, planned life?



Just finished the book, just finished wiping the tears.

For all of those who don't know me, you will not know of the fact that I have a reputation of being a reptile in my family. Cold blooded with no emotions. It takes a lot for me to cry (this is the fourth book out of hundreds, possibly over a thousand) but this book did it. Sure enough it was buckets full of tears, but even one shedding from my eye is a mighty feat. Well done Shana Norris, you succeeded in getting me to show emotion.


The plot in my opinion was pretty original. I have never heard of a book in which a girl pays someone to get her boyfriend to break up with her. I've seen a Simpsons episode with something similar though, but details details.

As far as the main character went, one Avery James shows less emotion than me. She's anal, obsessive and smart. Also quite annoying, but I rarely like the protagonist of a novel. She just didn't know how to let stuff go. With Elliot I didn't know why, but with her mum I understood why.

Next there is Zac Greenely. He's funny and a bit of a slacker. A joker at heart with the ever so exciting future of taking over to his father's business. He is Hannah Cohen's (Avery's arch nemesis) boyfriend. Hannah pays Avery to go after Zac though she (Hannah) has ulterior motives of her own. I liked Zac, though he seemed predictable. He was nice, but there are hundreds of other characters like him.

I liked Shana Norris's writing style; she only used a word in caps lock once. This is a major pet peeve for me which I view as unforgivable. I'll forgive her though, just a tiny blip. I did notice a few typos in the book though. Sentences without spaces between the first word and full stops and once a random letter before a piece of dialogue.

The Boyfriend Thief is a quick, cute read I'd recommend to all contemporary YA fans!

Four out of five stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment