"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." ~ Logan Pearsall Smith, Trivia, 1917

Saturday 31 March 2012

Pride and Popularity by Jenni James

   Pride and Popularity by Jenni James is the first book in the series of six called “The Austen Diaries,” which are modern retellings of Jane Austen’s books. It is the first published novel by Jenni James and is a book I thoroughly enjoyed.

  Set in Farmington, New Mexico, Pride and Popularity is about Chloe Hart and Taylor Anderson, two high school seniors who hate each other, or rather Chloe hates Taylor and he’s determined to change her mind. Taylor is the stereotypical egocentric jock, a player and the most popular boy in the school, Chloe is not so popular and detests Taylor as much as she loves dancing, which of course makes the book sound very cliché, but it’s not. It’s filled with surprises and some of the characters are not all they’re cracked up to be.

    I suggest that you read Pride and Popularity if you’re looking for a romantic comedy or if you have read Pride and Prejudice and you want to see how it compares. I personally have no idea how well the writer did with the retelling as I have not read Pride and Prejudice but what I do know is that it was a well written book with interesting characters.

   Pride and Popularity is an amusing story that I think most people will enjoy reading as it appeals to all age groups.



I wrote this book review in English a while ago, but with the release of the second book in the series,Northanger Alibi, I thought I'd post this :)

2 comments:

  1. Eeep! Thank you so much! You totally rock!

    Jenni

    PS so glad you loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete